Women Empowerment Cell
The year 2001 was declared as the “Women Empowerment Year”. India, with over a billion people, accounts for nearly 17 percent of the present world population of six thousand million people. Since 1900, the population has increased more than three times and if growth continues at the present rate, the world population is likely to reach 8.5 billion by the year 2020. Women, as an independent target group, account for 495.74 million and represent 48.3 per cent of country’s total population as per 2001 census
The principle of gender equality is enshrined in the Indian Constitution in its Preamble, Fundamental Rights, Fundamental Duties and Directive Principles. The Constitution not only grants equality to women, but also empowers the State to adopt measures of positive discrimination in favor of women.
The National Policy for Empowerment of Women 2001 has as its goal bringing
about advancement, development and empowerment of women in all spheres of life through creation of a more responsive judicial and legal system sensitive to women and mainstreaming a gender perspective in the development process. The strengthening and formation of relevant institutional mechanisms and implementation of international obligations/ commitments and co-operation at the international, regional level.
The formation of Women Empowerment cell at the educational Institutions was proposed to safeguard the women from any discrimination and unbecoming behavior.
About WEC GGITS:
RGPV sent a notice on 27th Dec 2012, after the tragic incident of Nirbhaya at New Delhi to conduct an awareness program for all the girls and female employees in all the institutions and pledge towards fearless and secure environment for females. There was an appeal for the formation of Women Counseling Cell against sexual harassment of women. Keeping this in mind Gyan Ganga Group of Institutions took active step and decided to work in this direction. The first meeting of the Cell was held on 28th Dec 2012, announcing the Constitution of the Women Empowerment Cell and was approved by the members.
The formation of the governing body was made on 28th Dec 2012 for the activation of the cell and with an objective of empowering the girl students and counseling in times of need. Girls Students’ Counseling Cell will take care of the well being, welfare and personal development of the girls. It works towards developing their personality and self-esteem. This cell will work towards resolving all the security issues by keeping a close watch and giving parental guidance to the girl students.
Our Mission is to explore, design and implement ways to bring change in the society and concur to the freedom feminism and Cell shall strive to create a better and just society by empowering women.
Our vision is to acquire the world free of thoughts where women’s rights are to be respected, imposing that women are strong, effective, and well-resourced to collate for achievement and to be free from gender biased society.
There will be three objectives of WEC–
1) Advice – which will be persuasive by giving an option, judgment and recommendation.
2) Guidance – which will be encouraging by showing the way, educating, influencing and constructing good for women.
3) Counseling – a two way collaborative approach to enable females to explore their problems, understand and resolve their problems. This will be a facilitative approach
Women Empowerment Cell is formed with the following aims:
1) Assist females in achieving full potential in education, career & personal life through academic & intellectual growth and personal empowerment.
2) The cell would work towards changing societal attitudes and community practices by active participation and involvement of both men and women.
3) The cell would facilitate building and strengthening partnerships with civil society, particularly women’s organizations.
4) The cell would facilitate congenial working environment for women.
5) The cell would facilitate & inspire females for attaining higher education so that the future scope is maximized.
6) The cell would organize awareness programs & camps for the less privileged women in the society.
7) The cell would be working towards individual counselling ,group counselling and educational guidance
8) The cell would be working towards building self confidence among girl students by means of guest lectures and workshops.